Strawberries and champagne — the perfect flavor combination for a special occasion breakfast or indulgent brunch! These delicious baked donuts are first infused with a splash of bubbly and then dipped in an unbelievably fresh strawberry glaze to create a donut worthy of celebration!
Champagne is always the drink of choice to commemorate special occasions and these strawberry and champagne baked donuts are definitely cause for celebration!
These soft and fluffy donuts are infused with a splash of bubbly for a sweet and elegant finish! The resulting champagne flavor is subtle and makes for the perfect celebratory treat!
As for the champagne, sweeter works best here. And if you haven’t got any champagne on hand, your favorite prosecco or sparkling wine would also work well in this recipe.
fresh strawberry glaze
To make the strawberry glaze, you’ll need to add about ¾ cup (100 g) of chopped strawberries to a blender and puree until smooth. Then you’ll just add one spoonful at a time to the powdered sugar and stir until the mixture forms a glaze. I like my glaze to be quite thick — as these donuts have quite a cake-like consistency, a thicker glaze ensures that the glaze will stay on top and not seep entirely into the donut.
You can use either fresh or frozen strawberries. I actually ended up using frozen strawberries (thawed by running warm water over them) for the glaze and they worked great! Since we start by pureeing the strawberries, it doesn’t matter at all if they get a bit soggy as they’re being defrosted.
To get the batter into donut form, I simply use a donut pan. If you don’t want to invest in a donut pan, you can definitely bake this recipe in a regular muffin tin. You can even place little balls of tin foil in the center to get the circle cutouts if you’d like! They will be a bit smaller so make sure to carefully watch the bake time if you decide to try this recipe without a donut pan.
One tip: the donut batter isn’t always the easiest to spoon into whichever form you use, so I like to add it to a piping bag (or just a regular old ziplock bag with the corner cut off) and pipe it into the donut cavities.
- flour 1 c (120 g)
- sugar ⅓ c (70 g)
- baking powder 1 tsp
- salt ¼ tsp
- melted butter 3 tbsp (40 g)
- egg 1 large
- vanilla extract 1 tsp
- milk ¼ c (60 ml)
- champagne ¼ c (60 ml)
- chopped strawberries ¾ c (100 g)
- powdered sugar 1.5 c (170 g)
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C) and grease a donut pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the melted butter, egg, vanilla extract and milk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Mix in the champagne until just combined.
- Evenly distribute the batter into 6-8 donut forms. They should be about ¾ full. To make this step easier, you can place the batter in a ziplock bag, cut the corner off and pipe the mixture into the forms.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly and then turn out to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the glaze, puree the strawberries in a blender until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar to a bowl and mix in the strawberry puree one spoonful at a time until you get to a glaze-like consistency.
- Once the donuts have cooled completely, dip into the glaze and return to wire rack to set.
Did You Make This Recipe?
This post may contain affiliate links through which we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. We only recommend products that we genuinely love and would use ourselves.