This refreshing cocktail is a delicious take on the classic blackberry bramble, but with my all time favorite liqueur – Becherovka! Created in Czechia, Becherovka is an herbal bitters with notes of cinnamon and cloves — the perfect complement to this delicious drink!
originally published 7.10.2020
A twist on the classic bramble, this bright and fruity drink features muddled blackberries, fresh lemon juice and Becherovka — one of our favorite herbal liqueurs. Our Becherovka cocktail can be mixed up in just five minutes and is the perfect addition to a warm summer evening!
what is becherovka?
I came across Becherovka while I was living in Prague (where you can find it at any and every corner shop) and it was love at first sip. The Czech herbal bitters is made with a secret blend of spices and herbs, with the most dominant flavors being cinnamon, ginger and cloves.
Though it’s most common to sip an ice cold glass of Becherovka straight from the fridge or even freezer, it also makes a great base for cocktails, especially those traditionally made with gin.
Becherovka might be a little tricky to find if you’re in the US. Not every store has it, but a few of our local supermarkets sometimes will stock it. Luckily, you can easily find the botanical liqueur online for order.
blackberry bramble with a twist
For this Becherovka cocktail, you only need a handful of ingredients:
- 5-6 fresh blackberries (muddled)
- Honey (mixed with hot water to create a simple syrup, then cooled to room temperature)
- Lemon juice
- Tonic water or ginger ale
honey simple syrup
Traditionally, the bramble was made using Crème de Mûre, a sweet blackberry liqueur, but with blackberries in season we opted to muddle fresh blackberries instead.
To get back that sweetness usually added by blackberry liqueur, we also mix in a bit of honey simple syrup, which is just honey and hot water mixed together in equal proportions. Hot water from the faucet is usually enough to dissolve the honey for me, but you can also heat the mixture over the stove in a small saucepan if necessary.
For more cocktail inspiration, make sure to check out these recipes!
- spiced gin fizz with cranberry and orange
- rhubarb infused vodka
- harvest moon | spiced apple cider rum cocktail
- chocolate martini
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1
This refreshing cocktail is a delicious take on the classic blackberry bramble, but with my all time favorite liqueur – Becherovka!
for one cocktail
- blackberries 5-6
- becherovka 1.5 oz (50 ml)
- honey simple syrup 1 oz (30 ml)
- (recipe below)
- lemon juice ½ oz (15 ml)
- soda water or ginger ale to top
honey simple syrup*
- honey ½ c (120 ml)
- hot water ½ c (120 ml)
honey simple syrup
- Mix equal parts honey and hot water and stir until honey dissolves.
- Cool to room temperature and store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
- Muddle the blackberries in the bottom of a glass until they release their juices. Top with ice.
- In a cocktail shaker, add Becherovka, honey simple syrup and lemon juice. Shake well.
- Pour the Becherovka mixture over the muddled blackberries and ice.
- Top with soda water or ginger ale.
Honey simple syrup: You can make as much or as little simple syrup as you want – just make sure to use equal parts honey and water!
- Category: drinks
- Method: mixing
- Cuisine: czech
Keywords: becherovka cocktail, becherovka drink, blackberry bramble
This post may contain affiliate links through which we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. We only recommend products that we genuinely love and would use ourselves.