This refreshing becherovka bramble cocktail is a delicious take on the classic blackberry bramble, but with my all time favorite liqueur – Becherovka! Created in Czechia, Becherovka is an herbal bitters with notes of cinnamon and cloves!
This refreshing cocktail is a delicious take on the classic blackberry bramble, but with my all time favorite liqueur – Becherovka! I came across Becherovka while I was living in Prague (where you can find it at any and every corner shop) and it was love at first sip. The Czech herbal bitters is made with a secret blend of spices and herbs, with the most dominant flavors being cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Though it’s most common to sip an ice cold glass of Becherovka straight from the fridge or even freezer, it also makes a great base for cocktails, especially those traditionally made with gin.
For the Becherovka Bramble, you really only need a few ingredients – a handful of blackberries, honey, lemon juice and tonic or ginger ale. Becherovka might be a little tricky to find if you’re in the US. Not every store stocks it, but a few will. For the last year, I’ve religiously scanned every alcohol section I’ve come across for Becherovka and all attempts were fruitless. Until this weekend! When I unexpectedly found it at a local chain grocery store that I swear I’ve checked before! Luckily, you actually don’t have to search for this botanical liqueur for years – it’s readily available online. I can just be a bit lazy when it comes to ordering things sometimes.
for one cocktail
- blackberries handful
- becherovka 50 ml (1.5 oz)
- honey simple syrup 30 ml (1 oz)
- (recipe for honey simple syrup below)
- lemon juice 15 ml (½ oz)
- ginger ale to top
honey simple syrup*
- honey 125 ml (½ c)
- hot water 125 ml (½ c)
honey simple syrup
- Mix equal parts honey and hot water and stir until honey dissolves.
- Cool to room temperature and store in airtight container for up to two weeks.
- Muddle the blackberries in the bottom of a glass until they release their juice. Top with ice.
- In a cocktail shaker, add Becherovka, honey simple syrup and lemon juice. Shake well.
- Pour the Becherovka mixture over the muddled blackberries and ice.
- Top with ginger ale.
- honey simple syrupYou can make as much or as little simple syrup as you want - just make sure to use equal parts honey and water!