Need a morning pick-me-up or an afternoon boost of energy? Grab a few of these delicious peanut butter energy balls packed full of healthy and nutritious ingredients! No baking or blending required!
These little energy bites are great to have on hand for busy days! They only take a few minutes to whip up and then you have a week’s worth of healthy breakfasts and snacks on the go. The best part about these energy balls? They not only taste amazing, but are also full of nutritious ingredients like oats, flaxseed and chia!
the main ingredients
The foundation of these energy bites consists of peanut butter, honey and old fashioned oats. The oats are the primary dry component of the energy balls, while the peanut butter and honey hold everything together. These three ingredients are the ones you’ll want to play around with to get the perfect texture. If your peanut butter is incredibly creamy, you can add a few more tablespoons of oats. On the other hand, if your mixture seems to be a bit dry, add a bit more peanut butter or honey!
One last tip — I like to add the honey at the end to control the sweetness. If you’re using sweetened peanut butter, you’ll probably need just a tablespoon or two of honey.
And of course, you can substitute peanut butter with any other nut butter and trade out the honey for your favorite sweetener — maple syrup and agave nectar both work great!
This is where you can really customize your energy balls! I chose a combination of some of my favorite nutritious ingredients along with a few more indulgent add-ins. The flaxseed meal (or ground flaxseed) and chia are both a great source of plant-based protein and fiber. The chocolate chips and toasted coconut, on the other hand, give the energy bites a sweet flavor boost!
Other great mix-ins that would work well in these on-the-go snacks include chopped nuts, any type of seeds (sesame, sunflower, pumpkin!), or dried fruit!
- old fashioned oats 1 c (100 g)
- peanut butter ¾ c (180 g)
- (natural unsweetened)
- flaxseed meal ½ c (70 g)
- toasted coconut flakes* ½ c (40 g)
- chocolate chips ½ c (90 g)
- honey ¼ c (75 g)
- chia seeds 2 tbsp
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to make the mixture easier to shape.
- Roll into balls and store in the refrigerator.
- toasting your coconut flakes: if your coconut flakes are untoasted, you can toast them in the oven at 350 F (180 C) for about 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Keep a close eye on them so they don't burn!