Rich and ultra creamy, these gouda mashed potatoes are incredibly easy to whip up and always a favorite among family and friends! Serve these fluffy, cheesy potatoes for a crowd pleasing side at your holiday gatherings or enjoy them on a chilly evening with your favorite stew!
The only thing better than mashed potatoes is mashed potatoes packed with cheesy goodness! These creamy gouda mashed potatoes are the perfect side dish for all of my favorite comfort foods: meatballs, roast beef and any type of stew.
The best part about this recipe? It makes quite a lot and there are so many things you can do with the leftovers! My favorite options are to use them as part of a filling for pierogi (maybe with some caramelized onions) or form them into pancakes and fry them up for a delicious snack.
how to make super creamy gouda mashed potatoes
One of the keys to delicious mashed potatoes is choosing the right type of potato! I generally like to use super starchy russet potatoes, but yukon golds would also work well in this recipe. To get started, you’ll first need to cut and boil your potatoes in salted water until they’re easily mashable with a potato masher or fork (about 20 minutes). Whether you leave the peel on is up to you, but I prefer to take it off for a flufflier mash.
After the potatoes are tender, it’s time to add the triple threat of creaminess: milk, sour cream and butter. Feel free to adjust each amount to taste. To get the perfect consistency, I like to start with the sour cream and butter and then add the milk just a bit at a time until the texture is smooth and fluffy.
And then lastly, mix in your shredded gouda and a bit of freshly minced garlic. Both regular and smoked gouda are fine, but I prefer smoked for the added depth of flavor! If you find your cheese isn’t blending into the mashed potatoes properly, you can put the lid on the pot for a few minutes to let it melt together. But I generally find that my potatoes are warm enough that the cheese melts right in after just a minute of whisking.
Looking for more cheesy appetizers and sides? Give these a try!
- blueberry gouda scones
- cheddar chive drop biscuits
- potato pancakes + whipped feta
- maple glazed prosciutto wrapped dates with goat cheese
- cheesy scalloped potatoes
- russet potatoes 2.5 lbs (1 kg)
- milk ¼ c (60 ml)
- sour cream ½ c (120 g)
- butter 4 tbsp (60 g)
- shredded gouda 1 c (80 g)
- minced garlic 2 cloves
- salt to taste
- green onions to garnish
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut into 2-inch (5 cm) cubes.
- Place the chopped potatoes into a large pot and cover them with water. Add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and cook for 20-25 minutes or until fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes of water. Mash the potatoes using a potato masher or fork. Stir in the milk, sour cream and butter (you can cut the butter into small chunks to make this easier).
- Fold in the shredded gouda and minced garlic. Add salt to taste and garnish with green onions.
This post may contain affiliate links through which we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. We only recommend products that we genuinely love and would use ourselves.