These kahlua mocha popsicles are delicious, easy to make and the perfect afternoon pick-me-up on a hot summer day! Chocolatey coffee infused with kahlua makes for a refreshing cocktail in popsicle form!
My favorite summer caffeine boost is always an iced mocha — you can never go wrong with the wonderful combination of chocolate and espresso! So after our first experiment with boozy popsicles in the form of coconut strawberry daiquiri popsicles was a success, we decided to try a rich and chocolatey version based on my go-to coffee order.
It took a bit of playing around with different ratios and several types of milk, but now I think I’ve discovered the perfect recipe to make kahlua mocha popsicles that are pure bliss! I’ve kept the popsicles super light and refreshing and they actually taste almost like coffee granita (if it were spiked with kahlua)!
ingredients for kahlua mocha popsicles
To whip up these kahlua mocha popsicles you’ll need just five ingredients:
- Milk: I’ve used both whole milk and almond milk with good results. If you want a creamier version you could also try substituting heavy cream here.
- Brewed coffee: Your favorite blend of coffee works best for this recipe. Just make sure to make it strong and let it come to room temperature before mixing with the other ingredients.
- Kahlua: About ⅓ cup (80 ml) of kahlua is the perfect amount to give these popsicles good flavor. While you could add a bit more kahlua, I wouldn’t recommend adding too much. Alcohol has a much lower freezing point than water so adding too much kahlua could turn your popsicles into slush.
- Cocoa powder: About two or three tablespoons of cocoa powder will ensure a nice mocha flavor! Make sure to use unsweetened cocoa powder so you can control the sweetness!
- Maple syrup: The maple syrup is completely optional. Because the kahlua already adds quite a bit of sweetness, I recommend tasting the mixture and then adding a few tablespoons as needed. You could also substitute honey or even plain sugar if you don’t have maple syrup on hand.
making kahlua mocha popsicles
To make the popsicles, combine everything in a blender and pulse until smooth! Adjust the sweetness to taste with maple syrup and then pour it into your popsicle mold. Then just insert popsicle sticks and freeze! I used this popsicle mold and tend to get about eight popsicles with this recipe.
One quick note: You might notice from the photos that there’s a little chocolatey band on the top of each popsicle. This happens when I let the popsicles sit in the mold for 10-15 minutes before placing them in the freezer. I actually like the gradient effect and it doesn’t really change the taste of the rest of the popsicle so now I almost always let a bit of chocolate gather at the bottom before I put them in the freezer. That little step is entirely optional and totally up to you!
For more frozen treats perfect for summer, make sure to try out these recipes:
- milk 1⅓ c (320 ml)
- strong brewed coffee 1⅓ c (320 ml)
- kahlua ⅓ c (80 ml)
- cocoa powder 2.5 tbsp
- maple syrup 2-3 tbsp
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and pulse until smooth.
- Distribute evenly among popsicle molds, insert popsicle sticks and freeze until solid (at least four hours).
This post may contain affiliate links through which we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. We only recommend products that we genuinely love and would use ourselves.