You’ll just need three ingredients to whip up this grilled provoleta appetizer — provolone, fresh oregano and red pepper flakes!
- olive oil 1 tsp
- provolone wheel 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick
- approximately 4-6 inches (10-15 cm) in diameter
- fresh oregano, chopped 1 tbsp
- red pepper flakes 1 tsp
- toasted baguette for serving
- Lightly grease a small cast iron skillet with olive oil.
- Place your skillet on the grill and heat to medium-high (375-400F).
- When the grill and skillet are hot, carefully place the cheese in the skillet. Sprinkle with oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Close the lid and cook for approximately 5 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted and bubbly.
- Very carefully remove the hot cast iron skillet from the grill. Serve provoleta hot with toasted baguette slices.
Provolone: Provoleta is the Argentine version of provolone cheese, which was designed specifically for grilling. Because it is difficult to come across in the US, we opt for a high quality Italian-style provolone here.
Provolone size: Your provolone wheel should be about 3/4 – 1 inch (2-2.5 cm) thick and 4-6 inches (10-15 cm) in diameter. It should weigh about 8-9 oz (230-250 g).
- Category: appetizer
- Method: grill
- Cuisine: argentina
Keywords: provoleta, grilled provolone