- vegetable oil for greasing
- heavy cream 1.5 c (360 ml)
- instant espresso powder 2 tbsp
- sugar 2 c (400 g)
- light corn syrup 1 c (240 ml)
- butter 5 tbsp (70 g)
- vanilla extract 1 tsp
- salt ¼ tsp
- Line a 9×9 inch (23×23 cm) baking pan with lightly greased parchment paper. Make sure to leave a slight overhang.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and measure out the vanilla extract and salt. Set aside.
- Combine the heavy cream and espresso powder in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Stir until mostly combined.
- Add the sugar and corn syrup. Cook, stirring continuously*, until the mixture reaches 240 F (116 C) on a candy thermometer (about 15-20 minutes). The mixture will bubble as the moisture evaporates.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter, vanilla extract and salt. Continue stirring until the butter has melted and immediately pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan.
- Allow to cool completely (at least 4 hours) and then cut into small pieces. Wrap in cellophane wrappers or wax paper and store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Stirring: When it comes to stirring your caramel you have two options.
Option 1: Stir the mixture continuously, making sure to splash the sides of the pot as little as possible. This method will ensure you don’t burn your caramels.
Option 2: Stir the mixture until the sugar dissolves. Stop stirring and continue cooking until the mixture begins to take on color. Reduce heat to medium-low and swirl the pan occasionally.
- Cuisine: global
Keywords: soft caramels, espresso caramels, coffee caramels