Featuring fresh tarragon and a creamy dijon dressing, this homemade chicken salad is the perfect filling for sandwiches and wraps!
- boneless skinless chicken breasts 1.5 lb (680 g)
- (about 3 cups cooked and shredded)
- red onion, finely diced ½ small
- celery, finely diced 2 stalks
- tarragon, chopped 1.5 tbsp
- mayonnaise ¼ c (60 g)
- dijon mustard 1 tbsp
- lemon juice 2 tbsp
- salt to taste
cooking the chicken
- Pour 6-8 cups (1.5-2 L) of water into a saucepan and stir in ½ tablespoon of salt. Add the chicken in a single layer. The water should cover the chicken by about an inch (2.5 cm).
- Bring the pot to a simmer over medium heat. Cook at a gentle simmer until the chicken reaches 165 F (74 C) on an instant read thermometer (about 8-12 minutes depending on thickness).
- Remove and let rest until cool enough to handle. Then shred and set aside to cool completely before using in chicken salad.
tarragon chicken salad
- Combine the cooked and shredded chicken in a bowl with the remaining ingredients and mix well. Add additional mayonnaise as desired.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Storing: The chicken salad will keep covered in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Category: dinner
- Method: mixing
- Cuisine: global
Keywords: tarragon chicken salad, classic chicken salad, chicken salad with tarragon