- apples 5 medium (800 g)
- (gala and honeycrisp work well)
- cornstarch 1.5 tbsp (11 g)
- brown sugar 2 tbsp (25 g)
- maple syrup 2 tbsp
- vanilla extract 1 tsp
- ground cinnamon ½ tsp
- ground cloves ¼ tsp
- ground nutmeg ¼ tsp
- almond flour ½ c (60 g)
- instant polenta ½ c (80 g)
- brown sugar ¼ c (50 g)
- baking powder ¼ tsp
- chopped pecans ⅓ c (40 g)
- egg white 1 large
- cold butter (cut into small cubes) 6 tbsp (85 g)
- salt pinch
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C) and grease a 9 inch (23 cm) round pie pan.
- Core and chop the apples into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces. I prefer the flavor and texture of unpeeled apples, but the choice is yours!
- Gently toss all ingredients for the filling until the apple pieces are evenly coated. Transfer to the greased pie pan.
- Combine all ingredients for the streusel in a food processor and pulse until pea-sized crumbs form. Alternatively, you can use a pastry cutter or a pair of forks to cut the butter into the streusel mixture.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apple filling.
- Bake 40 minutes or until the apples are tender and the topping is golden brown. If the topping is browning too quickly you can loosely cover it with foil.
Polenta: For this recipe you’ll need to make sure you’re using instant polenta or quick-cooking polenta.
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: apple crisp, apple crumble, gluten free apple crisp, gluten free apple crumble