Shredded Beef Barbacoa
- 3 pounds (1.4 kg) beef chuck roast
- 1.5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 whole chipotles in adobo, chopped (plus several spoonfuls of adobo sauce)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ¾ cup (180 ml) beef or chicken broth
- lime juice from 2 limes
- kosher salt to taste
- chopped cilantro
- diced white onion
- Cut the beef into large chunks of about 3 inches (8 cm), trimming any large pieces of fat. Generously season with salt on all sides.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sear the beef chunks on all sides until a nice brown crust develops. Work in batches to avoid overcrowding the pot. Transfer the seared beef to a plate and set aside.
- Add the diced yellow onion to the pot and cook until translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chipotles in adobo (along with a few extra spoonfuls of adobo sauce from the can), bay leaves, cumin and oregano. Mix and stir for several minutes.
- Pour a bit of broth into the pot and scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pot. Pour in the remaining broth and return the beef to the pot.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 2-3 hours, or until the beef is tender and easily falls apart.
- Remove the bay leaves and discard. Transfer the shredded beef to a cutting board and shred using two forks. Return the beef to the sauce and mix well. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Squeeze the lime juice over the beef and mix to combine. Serve the beef barbacoa with tortillas, chopped cilantro and diced white onion.
Slow Cooker: To make this recipe in the slow cooker, transfer all ingredients (except the lime juice) to the slow cooker after searing the beef. Cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Shred the beef, add the lime juice and enjoy!
Storage: Leftover beef barbacoa can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Keywords: barbacoa beef, beef barbacoa tacos