This naturally vegan chickpea and lentil curry is a healthy weeknight dinner that comes together quickly!
- coconut oil 2 tbsp
- (or any neutral oil)
- onion, diced 1 small
- garlic, minced 3 cloves
- ginger, minced 1 inch (2.5 cm)
- green chile, diced 1 small
- ground coriander 2 tsp
- paprika 2 tsp
- ground cumin 1 tsp
- ground turmeric 1 tsp
- ground cayenne ½ tsp
- ground fenugreek ½ tsp
- roma tomatoes, diced 2 small
- water 1.5 c (350 ml)
- green or brown lentils* ½ c (100 g)
- (rinsed and picked through)
- full fat coconut milk 1 (14 oz) can
- chickpeas 1 (14 oz) can
- (drained and rinsed)
- salt to taste
- cilantro to garnish
- Melt the coconut oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and cook until translucent (approximately 10 minutes).
- Add the garlic, ginger and green chile and cook an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Add the spices (coriander, paprika, cumin, turmeric, cayenne and fenugreek). Continue to cook for 30 seconds, stirring continuously.
- Add the diced tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Pour in the water and add the lentils. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and chickpeas. Generously season with salt to taste and cook uncovered until lentils are tender and sauce has slightly thickened, about 7-10 minutes. Slightly increase heat if necessary.
- Garnish with cilantro if desired.
Lentils: Any variety of lentils that can be cooked in about 20-25 minutes will work for this recipe.
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: indian
Keywords: chickpea and lentil curry, lentil chickpea curry, vegetarian curry