Transform leftover sweet corn cobs into flavorful corn stock! This easy recipe creates a delicious base for chowders, stews, and risottos.
- corn 8 cobs
- (husked and without kernels)
- garlic 4 cloves
- yellow onion 1 large
- thyme 3 sprigs
- bay leaves 2 leaves
- water 12 c (3 l)
- Smash the garlic cloves and halve the onion (no need to remove the peel).
- Add all ingredients to a large stock pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 1.5 hours.
- Strain the corn stock, discarding the vegetables and herbs.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to four days in a sealed container. Or freeze for later use.
Salt: I don’t add salt during the cooking process as the amount of salt needed depends more on what dish I’ll be making with the stock. That’s all to say don’t be afraid to add a bit more salt to your final dish than if you were to use store-bought broth.
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: homemade corn stock