- 2 pounds (900 grams) yukon gold potatoes
- 1 small white onion
- ¾ cups (180 ml) beef broth
- 3 tablespoons (40 ml) white wine vinegar
- 1.5 tablespoons dijon mustard*
- kosher salt to taste
- 1–2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- Bring a salted pot of water to boil. Add the potatoes and cook until tender, about 20-25 minutes. The potatoes are ready when a fork can be easily inserted into a potato and released with little resistance. Drain and let cool slightly.
- Peel the potatoes while they’re still warm and cut into thin slices approximately ¼ inch (½ cm) thick. Place in a large bowl and set aside.
- Finely dice the onion and place in a small saucepan along with the beef broth, white wine vinegar and dijon mustard. Season generously with salt. Bring to a boil and then immediately remove from heat.
- Pour the broth mixture over the potatoes and gently mix. Cover and let the potatoes sit for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Before serving, stir in the vegetable oil and add more salt if needed. Sprinkle chopped chives over the top.
Mustard: You can also use a coarse mustard or spicy brown mustard.
Keywords: swabian potato salad, schwäbischer kartoffelsalat