- almond meal 2 ¼ c (250 g)
- (also called unblanched almond flour)
- salt ¼ tsp
- 60-70% dark chocolate 8 oz (225 g)
- butter 12 tbsp (170 g)
- eggs 5 large
- granulated sugar ¾ c (150 g)
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Line a 9 inch (22 cm) round cake tin with parchment paper and lightly grease. Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Combine the almond meal and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- Finely chop the chocolate and cut the butter into cubes. Place the chocolate and butter in a small bowl and heat in the microwave in 20 second increments, stirring in between, until melted.
- Pour the chocolate and butter mixture into the almond meal and stir until combined.
- Separate the eggs. Add the yolks directly to the almond mixture and place the egg whites in a separate mixing bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until frothy. Gradually add the granulated sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Start with ⅓ of the egg whites and continue incorporating until fully combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for 35-40 minutes. The cake is ready when the top is dry and an inserted toothpick comes out mostly clean (a few dry crumbs is okay).
- Let the cake cool for 30 minutes, then turn out upside down onto a serving platter and dust with powdered sugar.
- Cuisine: italian
Keywords: gluten free cake, flourless cake, almond cake, torta caprese