Whole wheat blackberry muffins are the perfect way to greet the morning! These healthy and delicious treats are easy to whip up, full of flavor and incredibly satisfying!
- whole wheat flour 2 c (230 g)
- (spooned and leveled*)
- ground flaxseed ⅓ c (45 g)
- dark brown sugar 1 c (200 g)
- baking powder 2 tsp
- baking soda ½ tsp
- cinnamon ½ tsp
- salt ½ tsp
- kefir or buttermilk 1.5 c (350 ml)
- vegetable oil ⅓ c (80 ml)
- egg 1 large
- vanilla extract 1 tsp
- (can sub almond extract)
- fresh blackberries* 6 oz (170 g)
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C). Grease or line a tin for 12 muffins.
- Mix together the flour, flaxseed, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the kefir, vegetable oil, egg and vanilla extract until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined.
- Gently fold in the blackberries.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to sit in the tin for 10 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Measuring Flour: We highly recommend using a kitchen scale to measure flour. If measuring by volume, use the spoon and level method to avoid over-measuring. Use a spoon to lightly scoop flour into the measuring cup until it’s completely full. Then run the back of a knife over the cup to gently scrape off any excess.
Blackberries: To substitute frozen blackberries, do not thaw. Add to the batter directly from the freezer and increase the cooking time by several minutes if necessary.
Storing: Cover and store at room temperature for several days or keep in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: global
Keywords: whole wheat blackberry muffins, blackberry muffins buttermilk, healthy blackberry muffins