These cranberry orange muffins can be whipped up in minutes using either fresh or frozen cranberries! Enjoy them as is or top them off with an easy glaze made with orange juice!
Grabbing one of these muffins for breakfast always gets my day off to a good start. The tartness of the cranberries blends wonderfully with the sweet, citrusy taste of orange juice to create the perfect muffin! This recipe is so simple to make and great for a snack on a busy day or when serving brunch for a crowd.
I drizzled an orange glaze over the muffins just to give them a little extra fresh orange taste. The glaze is made up of powdered sugar and orange juice – that’s it! Using fresh squeezed orange juice (you only need one orange!) makes the glaze that much better and gives the muffins a pinch more citrusy sweetness.
PS: If you can’t get enough of the cranberry-orange combo, you have to try my spiced gin fizz with cranberry and orange. It’s the ultimate holiday cocktail!
- butter 115 g (1 stick)
- sugar 100 g (½ c)
- brown sugar 50 g (¼ c)
- egg 2 large
- sour cream 120 g (½ c)
- vanilla extract 2 tsp
- flour 220 g (1.5 c)
- baking soda 1 tsp
- baking powder 1 tsp
- cinnamon ½ tsp
- orange juice 2 tbsp
- milk 2 tbsp
- frozen cranberries* 130 g (1 c)
- powdered sugar 120 g (1 c)
- orange juice 3 tbsp
- Preheat oven to 420 F (215 C).
- Grease the muffin tin or line with 12 paper liners.
- In a large bowl beat softened butter on high speed for about a minute.
- Add the sugar and brown sugar and continue to beat on high speed for another two minutes.
- Add the eggs, sour cream and vanilla extract and beat on medium speed until the mixture is smooth.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Slowly pour the dry mixture into the batter while whisking continuously.
- Add the milk and orange juice and whisk until the batter becomes smooth.
- Cut the cranberries in half and carefully fold into the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly into each cup and bake for 18 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool in the tin for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely.
- Mix together the orange juice and powdered sugar.
- Drizzle the glaze over the muffins once they have cooled completely.
- *frozen cranberries hold their form best in the oven, but you could also use fresh cranberries
*you can also make this recipe without a mixer, just make sure to get the batter very smooth
Did You Make This Recipe?