Bring the Caribbean to you with this refreshing limonada de coco! This Colombian frozen coconut limeade is the perfect tropical cocktail to escape the summer heat!
Several years ago I came across the amazing limonada de coco when we were visiting the beautiful coastal town of Cartagena in Colombia. After spending the summer afternoons wandering the colorful streets, we would always stop at a local shop to relax with this refreshing coconut limeade… generally accompanied by arepas and other delicious treats! Now that summer has come to the midwest, I’ve been trying to recreate this tropical smoothie and I think I’ve found the perfect recipe with just the right combination of coconut milk and fresh lime!
While the limonadas de coco that we drank in Colombia were alcohol-free, I sometimes like to add a few splashes of rum – it’s a delicious drink either way! If you do include the rum, this frozen cocktail almost resembles a pina colada – we’ve just replaced the pineapple juice with lime juice. I like to garnish my limonada de coco with lime slices and maraschino cherries, but a little mint would also be a great addition!
- coconut milk 400 ml (13.5 oz) can
- (solid part only)
- lime juice 4 limes
- sugar 5 tbsp
- rum (optional) 120 ml (4 oz)
- ice cubes as needed
- (I used about three cups of whole ice cubes)
- Scoop out the solid part of the coconut milk and add it to the blender. Squeeze in the lime juice of four limes and add the sugar, ice and rum if using.
- Blend until smooth and adjust the sugar and lime juice to taste. Enjoy!